These bakery-style vegan blackberry muffins are moist, fluffy, bursting with fresh blackberry flavor, and topped with a buttery crumble. They are absolutely delicious, dairy-free, eggless, and can easily be made gluten-free with simple swaps.
What Makes this Vegan Blackberry Muffin Recipe So Good
These muffins tick all of the boxes. Moist with a puffy top and a delicious crumble that’s not too sweet and perfectly balanced. Each bite gives you a burst of sweet and tangy blackberries with a fluffy texture and the crunch of the buttery crumble topping—a perfect vegan breakfast snack or dessert.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Blackberry Muffins:
- Sugar: I like to use organic granulated sugar.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works just fine for this recipe or a 1:1 gluten-free flour if needed.
- Salt: to help balance the sweetness and boost the flavors.
- Baking Powder: to give these muffins the perfect rise.
- Cinnamon: for warmth and depth of flavor.
- Oil: this adds moisture to our muffins. I use a neutral flavored oil like grapeseed oil.
- Vegan Milk: I like using almond milk or oat milk when baking, but feel free to use any dairy-free milk of your choice.
- Applesauce: This is our egg replacement and adds even more moisture.
- Vanilla Extract: to add more rich, deep flavor.
- Blackberries: These can be fresh blackberries or frozen, just note that if you use frozen blackberries the juices will mix in with the batter and change the color of your muffins a bit.
- Flour: the base of the crumble.
- Sugar: to sweeten the crumble.
- Melted Vegan Butter: to bind the flour and sugar.
- Salt: to mellow out the sweetness.
How to Make These Easy Vegan Blackberry Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 450℉.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon until combined.
- Add the blackberries and gently mix them to fully coat them in the dry ingredients.
- To a separate bowl, add the dairy-free milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mixture with the dry ingredients and gently mix together until just combined.
- Scoop the batter evenly into a lined muffin tin. Fill each to about ¾ of the way full.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly onto each muffin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450℉, then lower the oven temperature to 375℉ and continue to bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool the muffins before serving.
- Add the flour sugar and salt to a small dish. Mix until combined.
- Add the melted vegan butter and mix with a fork until the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture is crumbly like small pebbles.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to sprinkle onto the muffins.
The Trick to Achieving the Perfect Muffin Top:
For the perfect rise and puffy top start baking the muffins at 450℉ for the first 10 minutes. This allows the muffins to puff up and allow the outer edges to set. Then drop the oven temperature to 375℉ for the remaining time to allow the center to bake through.
How to Store Vegan Blackberry Muffins:
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container or food storage bag…
- At room temperature for up to two days.
- In the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- In the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Vegan Recipes You’ll Love:
- The Best Vegan Strawberry Croissants (Cream Pan Copycat)
- Easy & Unbelievably Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes (Moist & Fluffy)
- Easy Vegan Biscoff Banana Pudding