This moist and fluffy vegan vanilla cupcakes recipe is perfect for a birthday or special occasion. These cupcakes are light and airy and unbelievably vegan.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
With just a few simple ingredient swaps there’s no need for milk, eggs, or dairy butter and no one will know the difference. These are frosted with a smooth vegan vanilla frosting, but they taste great with chocolate frosting or even a dairy-free cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients to make Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes:
- Flour: all-purpose flour or cake flour. Either option works well. You can also use gluten-free 1:1 flour if needed.
- Sugar: I like to use organic granulated sugar.
- Baking Powder: for leavening.
- Salt: to heighten the vanilla flavor and balance the sweetness.
- Vegan Buttermilk: helps to activate the baking powder for fluffy moist cupcakes. Made with non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. I have an easy vegan buttermilk recipe that you can use.
- Unsalted Vegan Butter: My favorite plant-based butter options to use for baking are Earth Balance Butter Sticks, Country Crock Plant Butter, and Miyoko’s European Style Butter.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: is the egg replacement. This adds even more moisture and helps to bind the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Flavoring: I recommend using vanilla bean paste for the best flavor, but feel free to use pure vanilla extract.
How to Make Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Dry ingredients. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt the butter by microwaving in 15-second increments.
- Cream the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer add the melted butter and sugar and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Wet ingredients. Add the vegan buttermilk, applesauce, and vanilla bean paste or extract to the creamed butter and mix until combined.
- Combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until combined.
- Fill. To a lined cupcake pan, pour the cupcake batter into each cup about ⅔ of the way full.
- Tap the cupcake pan flat on the kitchen counter about 3-5 times to remove any excess air bubbles from the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes for about 30 minutes before piping them with easy vegan buttercream frosting or vegan chocolate frosting.
How to Make The Best Vegan Cupcakes (Tips & Tricks):
- Cream the butter and sugar. Though this step is optional, I’ve found that creaming my butter and sugar first gives my cupcakes a softer texture.
- Avoid overmixing. When mixing, you’ll want to stop when the ingredients are combined, but not necessarily smooth. Overmixing can cause the cupcakes to become dense and dry after baking.
- Use an ice cream scoop. Another optional tip, but this helps make filling the cupcake cups a whole lot easier and ensures that each cup is filled with an equal amount of batter. One scoop can usually fill a cupcake cup ⅔ of the way full, which is exactly what is needed.
- Tap the pan. This added step helps to remove any excess air bubbles from the batter to help get an even rise on the cupcakes while baking.
Storing Your Cupcakes:
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days or in the fridge for about 1 week.
Can I Freeze Vegan Cupcakes?
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you initially plan to freeze them, you’ll want to wait until you are ready to serve to frost them. They can be thawed in the fridge or at room temperature overnight in their container.
More Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- Quick & Easy Vegan Buttercream Frosting (5 Ingredients)
- The Best Vegan Strawberry Croissants (Cream Pan Copycat)
- Easy Vegan Biscoff Banana Pudding