Plant-based meals don’t always have to be “healthy” or “light”. They can also be hearty and indulgent. That’s why I love these tofu ricotta stuffed shells. I’m a sucker for a good pasta dish, but what I like most about this dish is that it’s not only delicious but it’s packed with protein on its own. No need to add any mock meats (unless you want to) or beans, because the tofu is not only the “cheese” in this dish, but it’s also the protein source.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE TOFU RICOTTA STUFFED SHELLS
- Jumbo Shells: It’s important that shells are big enough to hold the filling.
- Pasta Sauce: Any red sauce will do or even a cream sauce like my cashew alfredo sauce.
- Firm Tofu: I like to use an extra firm in most cases, but a regular firm works great too.
- Nutritional Yeast: to add a cheesy flavor and extra nutrients.
- Olive Oil: to add fat and flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: adds a sour cheese-like flavor.
- Spices: Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Salt: to heighten the flavors.
HOW TO MAKE TOFU RICOTTA STUFFED SHELLS
- Press the tofu and drain any excess liquid.
- Crumble the tofu into a food processor or blender.
- Add the flavors. Add the apple cider vinegar, oil, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- Blend until the tofu ricotta is smooth and creamy with no chunks remaining.
- Cook the jumbo shells according to package instructions.
- Drain the shells and allow them to cool to the touch.
- Add the pasta sauce to a medium-sized baking dish.
- Fill the shells. Using a spoon or a piping bag, fill the shells until they are full.
- Arrange the shells in a single layer into the sauce.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on 375 degrees F.
- Let it cool before serving.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:Print
Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- 12 Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 1 Jar of Red Pasta Sauce
- 1 Block Firm Tofu
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasonings
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Press tofu for 5-10 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- Crumble the tofu in a blender or food processor.
- Add apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast.
- Blend until smooth and spices are fully incorporated.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cook the pasta shells according to package instructions.
- Drain the shells and allow to cool.
- Add the whole jar of pasta sauce to a medium-sized baking dish.
- Spoon or pipe the tofu ricotta filling into the shells until full.
- Arrange the shells in a single into the sauce.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: dinner, pasta sauce, plant-based, ricotta, stuffed shells, tofu