These peri-peri tofu bowls are bursting with layers of flavor and are incredibly easy to make. A healthy kale salad topped with hearty roasted potatoes and tangy peri-peri tofu. These bowls are perfect for an easy vegan 30-minute dinner.
WHAT IS PERI-PERI MADE OF?
Peri-peri sauce is typically made from puréed birds-eye chillis, lemon, onion, garlic, vinegar, oil, and a blend of spices such as pepper, oregano, bay leaf, smoked paprika, and salt.
WHAT DOES PERI-PERI SAUCE TASTE LIKE:
Peri-peri sauce is a bit tangy, sweet, and slightly salty with a light spicy kick.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE PERI-PERI TOFU BOWLS:
- Tofu: I like to use firm or extra firm tofu.
- Peri-Peri Sauce: I kept it simple by using a store-bought sauce. I really like Trader Joe’s Peri-Peri Sauce.
- Maple Syrup: helps to cut through the spice of the peri-peri sauce.
- Soy Sauce: to help give the inside of the tofu more flavor.
- Corn Starch: this gives the tofu its crispy texture.
- Oil: for cooking. I use a high-heat oil, like sunflower or grapeseed oil for this recipe.
- Potatoes: since this bowl will be mostly salad, the potatoes make this meal more hearty.
- Red Onion: for a more aromatic flavor.
- Spices: garlic powder, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Oil: for cooking. This helps to make the potatoes slightly crispy in the oven.
- Kale: adds some much-needed greens to this bowl.
- Olive Oil: for massaging the kale and adding flavor, but this is optional.
- Cucumber: for a delicious crunch.
- Shredded Carrot: for a slight sweetness and more crunch.
- Yogurt: I use plain dairy-free yogurt.
- Lime: for a bright citrus flavor.
- Garlic Clove
- Olive Oil: to help emulsify all of the ingredients.
- Sea Salt: to bring out all of the flavors.
- Black pepper: for a slight kick.
HOW TO MAKE PERI-PERI TOFU BOWLS
- Preheat the oven to 425 ℉.
- Press and drain the excess liquid from the tofu and cut the block into small cubes, about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the potatoes into quartered pieces, slice the cucumbers to your desired size, chop the onion into medium-sized, quartered pieces, and shred the carrot.
- Minch the garlic clove.
- Juice half the lime.
Roasted Potatoes & Onions:
- Season. Add the chopped potatoes olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl and stir the potatoes until they are fully coated.
- Roast. On a lined baking sheet, roast the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the onions, and finish roasting for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Toss. In a medium-sized bowl, add the tofu cubes, drizzle with the soy sauce, and toss. Then add the cornstarch and toss until the cubes are fully coated.
- Mix. In a small bowl, mix together the peri-peri sauce and maple syrup.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add the tofu and brown on all sides until the cubes are crispy.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the peri-peri sauce. Toss or stir the tofu to fully coat in the sauce.
- Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, then remove from the heat.
- Massage. Add the kale and one teaspoon of olive oil to a bowl and massage the kale until tender.
- Top the kale with the sliced cucumbers and carrots.
Lime Yogurt Sauce:
- Mix the yogurt, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
Assemble your bowl by layering it with the salad first, then topping it with the roasted potatoes, onions, and peri-peri tofu. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE TOFU TASTE GOOD EVERY TIME:
The texture of tofu can be off-putting for some people. So I like to freeze my tofu in its packaging when I first purchase it and then thaw it on the day I plan to use it. Once thawed I press the tofu to remove the excess water. Freezing the tofu not only gives it a more meaty texture but also helps the tofu to absorb the flavors of my marinade or seasonings much better.
MORE TOFU RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Easy Curried Sweet Potato and Chickpea Bowls (Vegan)
- Easy Cauliflower Shawarma Nourish Bowls (Vegan)
- The Tastiest Almond Butter Tofu | Easy and Delicious