Because we’re a family of two, we almost never can finish our ripe bananas and avocados in time. So to avoid wasting perfectly good food, we freeze them for smoothies. And with all those frozen bananas and avocados on hand, they're perfect for making a banana avocado smoothie, which has become one of our go-to smoothies.
This smoothie is not only refreshing, but creamy like a milkshake, healthy, and full of nutrients, and easy to make. Just a few key ingredients and you’ve got a filling smoothie that’s great for a busy morning or as a snack.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR A BANANA AVOCADO SMOOTHIE
- Bananas: Preferably frozen for an extra creamy consistency.
- Avocado: These can either be frozen or fresh, but frozen will add more creaminess.
- Plant Milk: Any milk of your choice will do, but I used unsweetened almond milk for this recipe.
- Agave Syrup: For added sweetness.
- Turmeric: This is totally optional, but I like to add it for it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ground Flax Seeds: A great source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Hemp Seeds: A great source of zinc, iron, calcium, vitamin E, protein, and yes, more omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg for some warm flavors.
WANNA BOOST THE NUTRITION OF YOUR BANANA AVOCADO SMOOTHIE?
The best thing about smoothies is the freedom to customize it to your needs and tastes. Here are a few things that I like to add for nutritional boost.
- Protein Powder: Add a scoop of your favorite plant-based protein to this smoothie. I really like Ora Organic Plant-Based Superfood Protein.
- Nut Butters: For an additional protein boost. Peanut butter is a great compliment to bananas, but cashew or almond are great too.
- Chia Seeds: Yet another source of healthy fats, calcium, and protein.
- Greens: Kale and spinach are great because they don’t change the flavor much, just the color.
HOW TO MAKE A BANANA AVOCADO SMOOTHIE
- Start out slow. Blend all of your ingredients on low speed first and then gradually increase the speed until all of the ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- Add more liquid if necessary. I like my smoothies pretty thick, but feel free to add more liquid for slightly thinner consistency.