Maybe it’s the West African in me, but I really love sweet potatoes. Aside from them being really delicious, they’re also pretty darn nutritious. So I like to find ways to incorporate them into my diet and to find different ways to serve them. I tend to go for dishes that I can customize based on what my preference is for the day or even on what I have in my pantry. So these mashed sweet potato breakfast bowls are definitely a winner for me.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BOWLS
- Sweet Potatoes: Large sweet potatoes work best for this recipe, but if you only have small ones, 3 small potatoes is about the equivalent of 1 large sweet potato.
- Plain or Vanilla Yogurt: If you’re trying to avoid added sugar then plain would be the right choice for you, but I used vanilla yogurt for this recipe for added flavor.
- Toppings: This is totally up to you, but I used strawberries, pomegranate seeds, pepitas, cacao nibs and hemp seeds. But feel free to add whatever you like.
HOW TO MAKE MASHED SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BOWLS
- Wash the sweet potatoes. We definitely don’t want to consume dirty produce.
- Prep the potatoes. Poke the sweet potatoes in different areas with a fork, then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.
- Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes. Potatoes are ready when they are tender when poked with a fork.
- Allow the potatoes to cool slightly before handling them to avoid burns.
- Mash the potatoes. Cut open the potatoes and scrape out the insides. Add half of the yogurt and mix and mash until the sweet potatoes are smooth.
- Serve. Split the mixture between two bowls and add your desired toppings.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes You May like:Print
Mashed Sweet Potato Bowl
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup Plain or Vanilla Plant-based Yogurt
- Toppings of Your Choice
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes.
- Poke the sweet potatoes in several areas with a fork, then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.
- Roast in the over for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- Allow the potatoes to cool to warm temperature.
- Cut open the potatoes and scrape out the inside with a spoon.
- In a bowl, fluff and mix the sweet potatoes with ½ cup of yogurt until smooth.
- Split the mashed sweet potatoes between two bowls.
- Top each bowl with the remaining yogurt and toppings of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
Keywords: easy, plant-based, sweet potato, vagan, whole food