Pancakes have always been and always will be my go-to weekend breakfast treat. But as I’m sure you know, a classic pancake recipe calls for milk, eggs, and butter. So with a bit of research and an annoying amount of failed pancakes later, I was able to finally make the perfect batch of fluffy, buttery, delicious, and 100% plant-based pancakes. Completely dairy-free and egg free. I hope you enjoy this easy fluffy vegan pancakes recipe as much as I do.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE FLUFFY VEGAN PANCAKES
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour, but I’ve also had success with oat flour, which is a great gluten free option, as well as a 1:1 gluten free flour.
- Cane Sugar: to be sure that this stays plant-based, it’s important not to use refined white sugar, as it is not vegan.
- Baking Powder: makes the pancakes light and airy.
- Baking Soda: This helps the pancakes to spread and form those wonderful air bubbles.
- Plant Milk: for moisture. I like to use either almond milk or soy milk for this recipe.
- Melted Vegan Butter: for fat content and nice buttery flavor.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: is our egg replacement, but mashed bananas can work too.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: By adding this, you’re creating a “buttermilk” with your plant-based milk. Trust me, you’ll want this for that fluffy texture. This can also be done by adding lemon juice
- Vanilla Extract: for a delicious flavor.
- Salt: to heighten all of the flavors.
- Oil: I like to use refined coconut oil.
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY VEGAN PANCAKES
- Whisk the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Create the “buttermilk”. In a measuring cup or small bowl, add the plant milk and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Allow this to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Put it all together. Add the wet ingredients to your dry mixture.
- Mix gently. The batter should be fully incorporated, with no dry spots, but a few lumps are okay. Try to avoid overmixing.
- Let it rest. Allow the batter to rest for 2-5 minutes. This step helps you to have the fluffiest vegan pancakes.
- Heat the skillet. On medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Cook the pancakes. Once the oil or butter begins to lightly sizzle, add about a ¼ cup of pancake batter for each pancake. Add more oil between batches as needed.
- Flip the pancakes. Pancakes are ready to be flipped when they are golden brown around the edges and bubbles begin to form throughout the top. Allow cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side.
Why Cane Sugar?
Most white sugars are made using Bone Char. Turbinado, cane, and organic sugars are not made using this process. This applies to powdered sugars as well.
I personally enjoy blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes with a touch of maple syrup. Vegan chocolate chips can be a bit tricky as they tend to melt much faster than dairy milk chocolate chips. So I’d recommend placing these on top instead during cooking. Fresh blueberries are simple, you can simply add them to the pancake batter and cook them like usual.
More Vegan Pancake Recipes You May Love:
- The Best Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- The Best Vegan Fonio Pancakes
- The Best Vegan Banana Macadamia Nut Pancakes