These vegan fonio pancakes are like nothing I have ever tasted. If you’re a fan of vegan pancakes and hot porridge for breakfast then this is the recipe for you. These pancakes are sweet, soft, fluffy, and yet somehow creamy all at the same time. Deliciously dairy and egg free.
WHAT IS FONIO?
Fonio is a West African ancient grain that is a great source of B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and fair amounts of fiber and protein. Not only does it have quite a few nutritional benefits, but it’s also gluten-free. To learn more about this superfood, click here. I used the Yolélé brand for this recipe. I’m sure this is an easy find in your local African market, but if you don’t have access to one, I’ve been able to find fonio at my local Whole Foods and on Amazon.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN FONIO PANCAKES
- Fonio: This creamy porridge is what will give these pancakes their unique texture.
- Olive Oil & Water: For cooking the fonio porridge.
- Dry Ingredients: for the pancake batter you’ll need all-purpose flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: for the pancake batter you’ll need plant milk, unsweetened apple sauce, vegan butter, and vanilla extract.
- Oil or Vegan Butter: I like to use refined coconut oil for cooking.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN FONIO PANCAKES
For the Fonio:
- Coat the fonio. To a small saucepan, add the fonio and coat with olive oil. Turn to high heat.
- Bring to a boil. Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the fonio with a fork and allow it to cool.
For the Pancakes
- Whisk the dry ingredients. In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt the butter. In a microwave-safe dish, heat the butter in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the plant milk, apple sauce, melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, and the cooked fonio. A few lumps are okay.
- Heat the skillet. Add the butter or oil to a skillet on medium-low heat.
- Cook the pancakes. When butter is melted or oil is shimming, add about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake to the pan. Cook until the surface of the pancakes starts to bubble, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with your desired toppings. I like to enjoy these with berries, yogurt, and maple syrup.
MORE VEGAN PANCAKE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVEPrint
Vegan Fonio Pancakes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
For the Fonio
- ¼ cup Fonio
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup Water
For the Pancake Batter (Dry Ingredients)
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Pancake Batter (Wet Ingredients)
- 1 cup Plant Milk
- ½ cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Vegan Butter ((melted))
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp High Heat Oil or Vegan Butter ((for cooking))
For the Fonio
- In a small saucepan, coat the Fonio with the olive oil and turn to high heat. Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the Fonio with a fork and allow it to cool.
For the Pancakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients as well as the cooked Fonio, until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- For fluffy pancakes, allow batter to rest for about 2-5 minutes.
- Add butter or oil of your choice to the skillet on medium-low heat ( I like to use coconut oil and butter).
- When the butter melts and starts to sizzle a bit, add your desired amount of batter (I use a ¼ cup for each pancake) to the pan.
- Cook until the surface of the pancake starts to form bubbles, about 2 minutes, then flip over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Pancakes should be golden brown in color.
- Serve with your desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: fonio, pancakes, plant-based, vegan, vegan breakfast