These creamy vegan orzo bowls with herby yogurt sauce are a delicious rainbow of vegetables and pasta tossed in a deliciously creamy yogurt sauce. An easy-to-make pasta recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes.
WHAT IS ORZO?
Orzo is a rice-sized pasta that is great for making excellent pasta salads or warm bowls like this recipe. It cooks very similar to most pasta which makes it really simple to make.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE CREAMY VEGAN ORZO BOWLS WITH Herby Yogurt
This bowl is full of fresh veggies and herbs and flavor. Made with fluffy orzo pasta, well-seasoned sautéed zucchini, squash, onions, and colorful bell peppers, and tossed in a tangy herb yogurt sauce. This dish is a great vegan/vegetarian meal prep idea for lunch or dinner to save time. Just reserve the sauce for when you are ready to enjoy.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CREAMY VEGAN ORZO BOWLS WITH HERBY YOGURT SAUCE:
- Orzo: this pasta works best for this dish, but feel free to use any small pasta you have on hand if you don’t have orzo or use gluten-free pasta if you prefer.
- Veggies: zucchini, yellow summer squash, red bell pepper, orange bell peppers, and red onion.
- Seasonings: Italian herb blend, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt to heighten the flavors.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: for cooking and to add flavor.
- Pumpkin Seeds: for crunch and texture, but also for added nutrients. As a bonus, these are also a cost-effective alternative to pine nuts.
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- Plain Dairy-free Yogurt: my go-to is the Kite Hill brand almond milk yogurt.
- Soft Cashew Cheese: for this recipe, I used Miyoko’s Classic Chive Cashew Milk Cheese.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: adds delicious flavor and helps to thin out the sauce.
- Herbs: fresh chives and dill.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder and sea salt.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
- Chop the veggies. Cut the zucchini and yellow squash into quartered ½ inch pieces. Chop the red and orange bell peppers and red onion into square pieces, about 1 inch in size.
- Chop the herbs. Remove the dill from the stems and finely chop the dill and chives. Set aside to use in the sauce.
- Cook the orzo according to the package instructions. Drain and toss in about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Sauté the veggies. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the veggies, onion, and seasonings. Sauté by tossing the vegetables occasionally until they are browned and tender.
- Make the sauce. Add the yogurt, cashew cheese, olive oil, and garlic powder to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and mix the fresh herbs and salt to taste.
- Assemble: Add the orzo and veggies to a bowl, drizzle with the sauce and toss to coat everything. Top with pumpkin seeds and enjoy!
MORE EASY VEGAN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Easy Vegan Turkey Melts with Pesto Mayonnaise
- Easy Curry Chickpea Salad Sandwiches (Vegan)
- The Best Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Shells | Easy and Vegan