These moist vegan chocolate cupcakes are rich and chocolatey. Topped with a smooth and creamy chocolate buttercream frosting, these unbelievably vegan cupcakes will not disappoint.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
These vegan chocolate cupcakes are moist and delicious. They are light, fluffy, and rich in chocolate flavor. Best of all, these are super simple to make.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Flour: all-purpose flour or cake flour. Either option works well. You can also use a gluten-free 1:1 four if needed.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: for our chocolate flavor. I like to use high-quality Dutch cocoa powder.
- Sugar: I like to use organic granulated sugar.
- Baking Powder: for leavening.
- Salt: to heighten the flavors and balance the sweetness.
- Vegan Buttermilk: helps to activate the baking powder for fluffy moist cupcakes. Made with non-dairy milk (I like to use soy milk) and apple cider vinegar. I have an easy vegan buttermilk recipe that you can use.
- Unsalted Vegan Butter: My favorite plant-based butter options to use for baking are Earth Balance Butter Sticks, Country Crock Plant Butter, and Miyoko’s European Style Butter.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: the egg replacement. This adds even more moisture and helps to bind the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Flavoring: vanilla extract helps to give the cupcakes a deeper flavor.
- Brewed Espresso: this helps to give the cupcakes a richer chocolate flavor.
How to Make Moist Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Dry ingredients. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt the butter by microwaving in 15-second increments.
- Cream the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer add the melted butter and sugar and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Wet ingredients. Add the vegan buttermilk, applesauce, espresso, and vanilla extract to the creamed butter and mix until combined.
- Combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until combined.
- Fill. To a lined cupcake pan, pour the cupcake batter into each cup about ⅔ of the way full.
- Tap the cupcake pan on the kitchen counter about 3-5 times to remove any excess air bubbles from the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes.
- Enjoy with my delicious vegan chocolate frosting recipe.
What is the purpose of adding espresso to chocolate cupcakes?
Espresso is a great compliment to chocolate. It helps to make the chocolate flavor of the cupcakes much richer and bolder.
How to Store Leftover Cupcakes:
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days or in the fridge for about 1 week.
Can I Freeze Vegan Cupcakes?
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. I would recommend that if you initially plan to freeze them, you’ll want to wait until you are ready to serve to frost them. They can be thawed in the fridge or at room temperature overnight in their container.
More Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- How to Make Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Easy & Unbelievably Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes (Moist & Fluffy)
- Quick & Easy Vegan Buttercream Frosting (5 Ingredients)