This Just Egg french toast is so good that you won’t believe that this recipe is completely vegan. No eggs. No dairy. Buttery and delicious french toast made with Just Egg plant-based liquid egg, warm spices, vanilla extract, and plant milk.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
This recipe is very easy to make and takes very little time at all. It’s warm with spices, sweet, and buttery, and (to me) tastes exactly like traditional french toast.
WHAT IS JUST EGG?
Just Egg is a plant-based egg replacer, made from mung beans. It is widely used for vegan scrambled eggs and omelets.
CAN YOU MAKE FRENCH TOAST WITH JUST EGG?
Just Egg is not only great for making vegan scrambled eggs, but because it has a subtle, neutral flavor it is also great for french toast. Just add a few simple ingredients and you’ll have the perfect custard for making a delicious vegan french toast.
WHERE TO BUY JUST EGG?
Just Egg is pretty simple to find. Most big-name grocery stores have it available. I’ve been able to purchase it from Whole Foods, Sprouts, Target, some Ralph’s/Kroger locations, Albertsons, and Bristol Farms. If you don’t have access to Just Egg, I have a great french toast recipe that uses chickpea flour.
WHAT BREAD IS THE BEST FOR MAKING FRENCH TOAST?
Sturdy, thick slices of bread work best for soaking up the custard mixture and not becoming soggy. For this recipe, I used thick white bread, but I’ve also made this recipe with vegan croissant bread (available at Whole Foods), vegan brioche (available at Trader Joe’s), sourdough, and cinnamon swirl bread. These are all great options.
INGREDIENTS FOR JUST EGG FRENCH TOAST
- Bread: I used thick white bread slices.
- Just Egg: The main for our “egg mixture” or custard. About ¼ cup of liquid Just Egg is equal to 1 egg.
- Plant Milk: to create the perfect custard. I like almond milk, but oat or soy milk also works well for this recipe.
- Cane Sugar: to add a subtle sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract: for a deep warm flavor.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
- Salt: To heighten all of the flavors.
- Oil: For cooking. I like to use refined coconut oil or any other high-heat neutral oil.
- Toppings: The possibilities are endless here, but I added fresh berries and warm maple syrup.
HOW TO MAKE JUST EGG FRENCH TOAST
- Whisk together the Just Egg, plant milk, cane sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a shallow dish. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse and the sugar to dissolve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet (preferably nonstick or cast iron) over medium-low heat.
- Dip the bread into the custard mixture, being sure to fully coat both sides.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add toppings of your choice. I like mine with vegan butter, maple syrup, and fruit.
TIPS AND STORAGE
- If you have the time, let the custard mixture sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to allow the vanilla extract and spices to fully infuse. This will give the french toast the best flavor.
- The cooked french toast can be stored in the fridge for up to two days. Just reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 350° F for 6-8 minutes.
GREAT FRENCH TOAST TOPPINGS:
- Fresh Berries
- Vegan Nutella
- Maple or Agave Syrup
- VeganYogurt or Whipped Cream
- Fruit Preserves/Jam
- Powdered Sugar
MORE VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:Print
Just Egg French Toast
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 8 Slices of Bread
- 1 cup Just Egg
- ½ cup Plant Milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ tsp Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Oil (for cooking)
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the Just Egg, plant milk, vanilla extract, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about five minutes to let the sugar dissolve and the flavors to infuse.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Dip both sides of the bread into the mixture.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup or desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: easy vegan recipe, french toast, just egg, vegan breakfast, vegan egg