In case you haven’t noticed, we love breakfast around here. It really is my favorite meal of the day. Mainly, because breakfast can be savory, sweet, or both. I personally enjoy having a sweet breakfast, especially on the weekends. My sweet breakfast go-to is usually pancakes, but French toast definitely has a place in my heart. So if you’re anything like me you’ll definitely enjoy this vegan French toast recipe. Made with chickpea flour and warm spices, you won't even miss that old-school, traditional French toast.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE VEGAN FRENCH TOAST
- Bread: Preferably slightly stale bread.
- Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Flour: I know what you’re thinking, but you’ll just have to trust me. This replaces the eggs and gives the French toast the perfect coating.
- Unsweetened Plant Milk: to help create a smooth batter.
- Sugar: to sweeten the batter
- Vanilla Extract: for a warm deep flavor.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Salt: to bring out all of those flavors.
- Oil or Vegan Butter: for cooking.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN FRENCH TOAST
- Make the batter. To a blender add the chickpea flour, plant milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend until smooth and transfer to a shallow dish.
- Heat the vegan butter or oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip the bread into the mixture, being sure to fully coat both sides.
- Cook the dipped bread for about 2 minutes each or until golden brown and crispy around the edges.
- Serve and enjoy with maple syrup or other desired toppings. I topped mine with strawberry purée and toasted almonds.
And there you have it! Simple to make and absolutely delicious. This recipe is a great alternative to the traditional egg and milk-based French toast. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.