I have to admit, I’m not the biggest fan of eggs and I’m an even smaller fan of tofu. It’s squishy and it takes a bit of a learning curve to cook properly and make it delicious. But the easiest way to use tofu is as a breakfast tofu scramble. Tofu is the perfect texture to mimic eggs and takes on pretty much any flavors that you throw at it. And, as an added bonus, it’s packed with protein. About 8 grams per serving. With the right veggies and spices, this tofu scramble is an easy winner.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE TOFU SCRAMBLE
- Firm Tofu: I sometimes use extra firm if I can’t find firm, but they both work just fine.
- Oil: To add fat and keep the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
- Yellow Onion: because what’s a good dish without aromatics?
- Red, Yellow, & Orange Bell Peppers: these add a mild sweet bite to the scramble and added nutrients.
- Turmeric: not only does this give the tofu a yellow, egg-like color, but it has a lot of nutritional value and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Black Pepper: for a kick and also to activate the anti-inflammatory properties of our turmeric.
- Garlic & Onion Powder: because we want to add as much flavor to the tofu as possible.
- Salt: to heighten the flavor of all of our spices.
- Water: to help incorporate all of the spices and flavors into the tofu.
HOW TO MAKE TOFU SCRAMBLE
- Chop the veggies. Coarsely chop the onions and peppers.
- Heat the skillet. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add the oil.
- Crumble the tofu. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small pieces over the skillet. Pieces should be as small as you like but no bigger than 1 inch chunks to absorb the flavors.
- Add the veggies and spices. Stir in the chopped onions and peppers and all of the spices.
- Add the water. Then stir until the spices are evenly distributed and the tofu is completely yellow.
- Simmer. Stirring occasionally until all of the water has evaporated. The tofu should be moist, but not wet.
More Recipes You May Like:Print
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 Block of Firm Tofu
- ½ Yellow Onion
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- ½ Yellow Bell Pepper
- ½ Orange Bell Pepper
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Oil or Vegan Butter
- 2 tbsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Chop the onions and peppers.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers.
- Crumble the tofu into the skillet. Crumbles should be no bigger than 1 inch chunks.
- Add the turmeric, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and water.
- Stir until the spices are evenly distributed and the tofu is completely yellow.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all of the water has evaporated. The tofu should be lightly browned and no longer wet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast, scramble, tofu