The best savory vegan french toast you’ll ever make. This herby, cheesy parmesan french toast is the perfect easy plant-based breakfast or brunch.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
This could easily be one of the best JUST Egg recipes that you’ll ever make. If you’re not in the mood for a sweet vegan breakfast or brunch, this is the recipe for you. This savory french toast is delicious and unbelievably vegan and has easy-to-use JUST Egg, vegan parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs.
WHAT CAN I USE JUST EGG FOR?
The JUST Egg plant-based scramble is great for almost any recipe that you would use traditional eggs. I like to use it for a range of different breakfast recipes:
- Vegan French Toast
- Vegan Frittata
- Vegan Omelettes
- Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- And so much more!
WHAT IS SAVORY FRENCH TOAST?
Savory French toast is very similar to traditional sweet French toast, but instead of the custard being made with sugar and spices that complement sweet things like cinnamon and nutmeg, it is made without sugar and has spices or herbs that are great for savory flavors. In this case, we used fresh herbs.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
- JUST Egg: Our main ingredient to replace the eggs that would be used in a traditional French toast recipe.
- Bread Slices: I used vegan brioche bread, but this recipe is also just as delicious when made with sourdough bread or french bread.
- Dairy-Free Milk: I like to use almond milk or soy milk. This helps to give the custard the perfect consistency.
- Vegan Parmesan: this adds such a delicious cheesy flavor and a lovely crispy texture to the surface of the French toast.
- Herbs & Spices: fresh thyme, fresh sage, salt, and black pepper. If you would like a more enhanced egg flavor, feel free to replace the kosher salt with black salt (kala namak).
- Oil or Butter: for cooking. If you decide to use butter be sure that it is unsalted.
Optional Tomato & Garlic Topping:
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes on the vine, but loose grape or cherry tomatoes work great too.
- Garlic: because it pairs so well with herbs, cheese, and tomatoes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: for cooking, but also for added flavor.
HOW TO MAKE SAVORY JUST EGG HERB PARMESAN FRENCH TOAST:
- Prepare the herbs. Thinly slice the sage leaves and remove the thyme leave from the stems.
- Grate the cheese. Finely grate the parmesan cheese.
- Mix the custard. Add the JUST Egg, dairy-free milk, vegan parmesan, thyme leaves, salt, and black pepper to a shallow dish. Whisk until combined.
- Infuse the oil or butter. In a skillet over low heat, add just 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for every 2 french toast slices. While the oil is heating, add the sage leaves to the pan to infuse with the oil or butter.
- Dip each slice of bread on both sides into the custard mixture. If the herbs and parmesan doesn’t stick to the bread, you may need to use a fork to scoop up some of the thyme and parmesan and add it to the bread.
- Cook the dipped bread on both sides until golden brown and the custard is fully cooked.
- Enjoy with your preferred topping.
Optional Blistered Tomato & Garlic Topping:
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Blister. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan.
- Add the garlic. Once the tomatoes start to burst, add the garlic and continue to cook both the tomatoes and garlic until the garlic starts to brown.
- Remove the tomatoes from the pan and spoon out the browned garlic.