An incredibly easy and delicious JUST Egg frittata filled with asparagus, bell pepper, spinach, and mushrooms and topped with vibrant pesto sauce. Perfect for a vegan breakfast or brunch that will impress your friends and family.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
This recipe is what I would refer to as “unbelievably vegan”. With the right ingredients, this JUST Egg frittata recipe is fluffy and flavorful just like a regular egg frittata, and could easily fool any omnivore.
WHAT ARE SOME WAYS TO USE JUST EGG BESIDES SCRAMBLES?
Aside from this easy vegan frittata and scrambles, JUST Egg is also perfect for these vegan recipes:
- French Toast (sweet and savory)
- Breakfast Sandwiches
- Breakfast Burritos
- And so much more!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A JUST EGG FRITTATA:
- JUST Egg Plant-Based Scramble: The main ingredient for this dish. This product is my go-to for egg-like recipes. It really is the closest thing to real scrambled eggs.
- All-Purpose Flour: to thicken the JUST Egg and help it to bind nicely during baking. You can also use gluten-free flour if necessary.
- Baking Powder: to make the frittata nice and fluffy.
- Veggies: Asparagus, red bell pepper, and spinach.
- Mushrooms: We want to use these for their meaty flavor and texture. I like to use crimini mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms.
- Seasonings: Black pepper and garlic powder.
- Black Salt: also known as Kala Namak is a sulfurous salt that is great for mimicking the flavor (and smell) of real eggs. It can be found at most Indian markets or can be ordered online. This ingredient is totally optional and can be replaced with kosher salt.
- Oil: for cooking. I like to use olive oil or vegan butter.
- Vegan Pesto: as an optional topping. I just use a simple store-bought pesto sauce.
HOW TO MAKE A JUST EGG FRITTATA:
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Slice. Thinly slice the red bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Chop. Break off the hard ends of the asparagus spears and chop them into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix. Add the JUST Egg, flour, baking powder, black salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to a medium-sized bowl and whisk until combined.
- Stir. When the JUST egg mixture is combined, stir in the thinly sliced spinach.
- Sauté. Add the oil to a cast iron skillet (or any skillet that is oven-safe) over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms, asparagus, and red bell pepper until browned and slightly softened.
- Bake. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour in the JUST Egg mixture. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the frittata is fully cooked.
- Cool & Serve. Allow the frittata to cool and set for about 5 minutes before serving.
*Note: If you don’t have a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, you can transfer the cooked veggies and JUST Egg mixture to a baking dish before baking.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR FRITTATA:
I love this recipe because you can customize it and make it your own. Choose your own mix-ins, like vegan breakfast meats, vegan cheeses, and practically any cooked veggies or aromatics of your choice. I love topping mine with pesto and enjoying the frittata with toast or roasted potatoes, but you could also top yours with salsa, tomatoes, microgreens, arugula, fresh herbs, and so much more. Use this recipe as a blueprint and expand based on your preferred flavors.
MORE VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- 5 Simple Vegan Toast Ideas (Sweet & Savory)
- The Best Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- The Best JUST Egg French Toast