These chickpea salad sandwiches are a flavorful blend of fresh herbs and elevated with just a few key spices. A quick sandwich recipe that can easily be added to your vegan meal prep for lunch or dinner. Whether you decide to have it as a regular sandwich or have it in a wrap, this tasty recipe won’t disappoint.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICHES
- Bread: I like sourdough or a soft white, but this is totally up to you.
- Chickpeas: I use canned chickpeas for convenience.
- Vegan Mayo: For a creamy consistency and to bind the mixture together.
- Gala Apple: To compliment the herbs and for a nice sweet bite.
- Herbs and Aromatics: Green onion, red onion, cilantro, and chives.
- Spices: Black pepper and paprika.
- Sea Salt: To help bring out all the different flavors.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICHES
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, I like to do this to remove any excess salt.
- Chop the herbs and onions. Roughly chop the cilantro, green onions and red onion. Finely chop the chives.
- Chop the apple into ¼ inch bite-sized pieces.
- Mash the chickpeas. In a shallow dish, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix it all together. In a separate bowl, add the mashed chickpeas, apples, chopped onions and herbs, mayo, salt, pepper, paprika. Mix until combined.
- Sandwich it. Spoon a generous amount of the chickpea salad onto your bread of choice, cover, and enjoy!
CAN I MAKE THESE CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICHES WITHOUT MAYO?
Absolutely. Feel free to swap out the vegan mayonnaise for a plant-based plain yogurt or about 2 mashed avocados.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:Print
Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 8 Slices of Bread
- 1 can Chickpeas
- ¾ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- ½ Gala Apple
- ¼ Red Onion
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro
- ¼ cup Green Onion
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika (optional)
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse until the chickpeas are roughly chopped, about 5-6 pulses.
- Roughly chop the cilantro, green onions, and red onion.
- Finely chop the chives.
- Chop the apples into bite-size, ¼ inch chunks.
- Add the chickpeas to a shallow bowl and mash with the back of a fork or potato masher.
- In a small bowl, add the mashed chickpeas, apples, cilantro, green onion, red, onion, chives, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix until fully combined.
- Spoon a generous amount of the chickpea salad onto your bread of choice. Cover.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: chickpea salad, easy vegan, healthy vegan recipe, plant-based, sandwich