This watermelon chia fresca is fruity, refreshing and delicious. Chocked full of nutritional benefits, this drink is a perfect way to rehydrate on a hot day!
BENEFITS OF WATERMELON CHIA FRESCA
Watermelon is known for being quite hydrating, especially as it’s made up of 92% water, but watermelon also has some other good benefits. A great source of antioxidants like vitamin C and carotenoids, watermelon may reduce risk of certain cancers, relieve muscle soreness after a workout, as well as benefit heart health, skin health, and improve digestion.
Chia seeds are tiny but mighty, as they are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, calcium and antioxidants. Chia seeds can also absorb 12x its weight in water, helping to add and prolong hydration. Put these two together and you’ll not only quench your thirst on a hot day, but give your body a serious nutritional kick.
INGREDIENTS FOR WATERMELON CHIA FRESCA
- Watermelon: Not only juicy and delicious, but super refreshing and nutritious.
- Lime: adds the much needed hint of tartness to this sweet juice.
- Chia Seeds: For added nutrients and hydration boost.
- Filtered Water: to help dilute the sweetness of the juice and for even more hydration.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON CHIA FRESCA
- Slice and cube the watermelon into 1 to 2 inch chunks that will be easy for your blender to process.
- Juice the lime in a small bowl or cup.
- Blend the watermelon in the blender on medium-high until the cubes have become juice.
- Strain the juice using a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl. It helps to do this about a cup at a time, cleaning the watermelon pulp off of the sieve periodically for the juice to run through easier. Continue this until all of the juice is strained.
- Transfer the juice to a pitcher then add the filtered water, lime juice, and chia seeds.
- Stir and refrigerate for about 1 hour to chill and to allow the chia seeds to swell before serving.
- Shake or stir the juice before serving.